Information For Au Pairs

Coming to Denmark as an Au Pair

As an au pair, you will be granted a residence permit but not a work permit, as your daily chores with your host family are not considered as work. You are not allowed to carry out chores for your host family outside the time limits defined above, carry out tasks other than household chores, carry out chores or work outside your host family's home, or take on paid or unpaid work.

Rules about holiday for au pair

So far as the right to holiday is concerned, the relationship between you and your host family is regarded as an employer/employee relationship and is subject to Danish regulations covering the right to holiday and holiday pay. Two Holiday models exist that may apply to you as an au pair with your host family and between which you and your host family must choose.

What is paid holiday, holiday payment and what are you, as an au pair entitled to?

Au Pair Network

Au Pair Network takes a holistic approach when working to prevent and thereby reduce the number of problems and conflicts for au pairs and host families. Among other things, Au Pair Network offers councelling for au pairs and host families and mediation between au pairs and host families.

Au Pair in Norway

If your au pair contract in Denmark comes to an end, you are entitled to continue your au pair position in Norway. But you must apply for an au pair placement in advance, at least 5 month before expiration of Danish visa.


Study in Norway

Norway offers you a unique student experience and Norwegian institutions of higher education welcome applications sent by qualified students from all over the world.

Danish Language Courses

All newly arrived foreign nationals having reached the age of 18 have the opportunity to participate in a free Danish language course.The Danish language courses are offered at language centers located nationwide.

As a student in Denmark

Danish education system and Danish education institutions If you consider moving to Denmark in order to go to school, study or work in the education sector, you need to look into practical matters such as work and residence permits, and also insurance and social security.

Danish language courses on the Web

A list of Internet language courses with Free access. The courses do not require any books. The courses have various levels and methods of instruction, so you need to find the one that is most suitable for you.

Residence in Denmark for EU citizens and EEA nationals

As an EU citizen you can freely enter Denmark and stay in the country up to three months without a certificate of registration. If you seek employment, you may stay in the country for up to 6 months without a certificate of registration. The periods of 3 and 6 months are determined on the basis of the date of your entry.

Residence cards with biometric features

After 20 May 2012, all non-EU citizens over the age of 18 applying for residence permits under the terms of the Aliens Act must have their biometric features (facial image and fingerprints) recorded when submitting their application. Biometric features will also be recorded when applying to renew a residence permit and when applying for permanent residence.

Extension of a residence permit

As an au pair, you can be granted a residence permit for a maximum of 24 months, but no longer than the duration of your au pair contract. Your residence permit cannot be extended beyond 24 months.

Termination of residence permit

The Immigration Service may revoke or refuse to extend your residence permit if the grounds on which it was granted no longer apply, for example if you break your au pair contract.

If you want to work or study in Denmark

As a foreign national, you can be granted a residence permit in order to study or work in Denmark. Your residence permit must be granted before your arrival in Denmark.

Declaration of the Marriage Act

According to the Danish Aliens Act, a residence permit may be granted, to an alien over the age of 24 who cohabits at a shared residence, either in marriage or in regular cohabitation of prolonged duration, with a person permanently resident in Denmark over the age of 24 and who is a Danish national, or a national of one of the other Nordic countries, or is issued with a residence permit as a refugee or has held a permanent residence permit for Denmark for more th...